Friday, June 28, 2013

Having Trouble With Protractors, Angles, and Polygons?

TOOL TO USE: Anglegs!

I have had students struggle with how to use a protractor in the past. The main issue for students was "Where do I put the center?" and "I can't line up the center and the base at the same time!".

Anglegs can be used for angles, triangles, quadrilaterals, etc.

My students call them click sticks. :)

ANGLES:

Students can lay them flat.

Students can stand them up and rotate the extended side to watch the change in degree measure.

 

TRIANGLES:

Use Anglegs to discover the Triangle Angle Sum. (Can also discuss that the length of the side relates to the degree of the opposite angle.

QUADRILATERALS:

These are an excellent tool for students to use to discover and explore quadrilaterals. I, myself, made a discovery regarding trapezoids.

This is just a small look at the possibilities of Anglegs!