These activities are AWESOME! I love the discussions that come up, the type of thinking that occurs, and the multiple possibilities there are.
These materials were provided through a workshop. I have yet to use them in my classroom, but I have no doubt these would be an excellent addition to the unit of quadrilaterals.
You start with four different Venn Diagrams.
You have a selection of set titles and shapes.
Here are some examples of the use of these materials.
(Don't forget about the universal set on the outside of the circles.)
Some suggested strategies/conversations:
- Have a student demonstrate their Venn Diagram.
- Have students justify their decisions.
- Start with with set titles and categorize shapes.
- Start with categorized shapes and determine the set title.
- Ask students where they started and how they categorized the shapes.