Saturday, July 20, 2013

Geometry: Pythagorean Theorem

Pg 6. Right Triangle Basics (Optional - Used this my second year, but not my third.)

 

Pg 7. Pythagorean Theorem

LEFT: We took a square piece of paper and folded it until the entire square is made up of small right triangles. We then selected a right triangle and the three surrounding squares to demonstrate the Pythagorean Theorem.

RIGHT: Another time, we selected, drew, and then cut out the diagram to demonstrate the Pythagorean Theorem.

I have seen other diagrams using all the pieces to make a square, but I have yet to understand them or see the purpose. Any suggestions for enlightening resources?

Pg 8. Pythagorean Theorem and It's Converse

This next year, I will use Anglegs and worksheet to introduce and classify triangles.

My students came with excellent prior knowledge of the Pythagorean Theorem.

Pg 9. Multistep Pythagorean Theorem